Tips to prevent house fires
A fire in your home can be emotionally and financially devastating for you and your family. But there are some common steps you can take to help reduce the risk of a house fire. Understanding how house fires start will help you in preventing a fire in your own home.
- The majority of house fires start in the kitchen. Never leave a hot stove or oven range unattended. Overheated pots and pans can cause a fire very easily if left unattended. Stay in the kitchen while cooking and use a timer to help remind you to check your food. Also make sure the oven and stove are free from flammable objects.
- Pay attention to your heating system. Heating systems should be cleaned and maintained every year to make sure they are working properly. If you are using a portable space heater make sure they are at least 3 feet away from items such as clothing, furniture, and bedding. Also be sure to turn them off when you leave home.
- Only let professionals do electrical work in your home. Many electrical fires result in improper installation by the homeowner. When using electrical appliances check for frayed or damaged cords, and remove any that are broken. Also use the proper wattage of light bulbs in lamps and other light fixtures.
- Decorative and scented candles are very popular in homes, but they are also a very big fire risk. Never leave candles burning unattended and make sure to put them out when you go to bed. Make sure candles are placed away from flammable objects and are placed on a sturdy surface.