Myths About Mold
What do you think about when you hear the word “mold”? Does it make you cringe? Mold has a lot or misconceptions that can leave homeowners confused and misinformed, but mold in your home can be costly to both your home and your health. If mold isn’t treated properly, it can quickly grow into a major problem. Here are some common myths about mold to help keep you and your family safe.
- Bleach kills mold. Bleach and other retail products usually just discolor the mold and are aren’t recommended for use on porous surfaces. Using bleach or other retail products on wood, carpet, and drywall don’t usually reach the root of the mold, therefore causing the mold to return. Removing the mold from the area is the only way to make sure the mold is gone and will not return.
- Mold is only found in homes with water damage. It is true that mold forms in areas where there is water where it shouldn’t be, like flooding or a leak, but unfortunately all homes could end up with mold. Molds and mildews are present both indoors and outdoors, and mold spores can begin to grow within 24-48 hrs after landing on a surface that contains moisture.
- Dead mold can’t cause health issues. Even if you can kill the mold there are still allergens that can live in mold that are still active. Mold can also go dormant but then regrow when the environmental conditions are right. To protect your home and your family, it is best to remove the affected area and to remove the items that contain mold. Our technicians at SERVPRO of Campbell County are properly trained to handle mold allergens without further contaminating your home.
- Mold remediation is something you can easily handle yourself. Mold remediation can be handled for small areas fairly easily. But when the problem becomes pervasive, call SERVPRO of Campbell County (859) 572-4920.