If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (859) 572-4920

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Using Space Heaters Safely

11/27/2018 (Permalink)

Even though the calendar still says its fall, mother nature is disagreeing!  Snow is covering the ground and temperatures are the coldest we have seen in a couple of months.  It’s a great time to stay home and cozy up with a warm blanket or to switch on a portable heater to get the house nice and toasty.  Space heaters are a great way to get a room warm quickly but they can be a fire hazard if not used properly.

According to Consumer Reports, about 25,000 house fires and 300 deaths occur each year due to space heaters.  Most of these accidents happen because the space heaters are placed too close to curtains, upholstered furniture, or bedding.  Here are some safety tips to help keep you and your house safe if you are using a space heater.

  1. Make sure the space heater you buy has a safety certification label from an independent testing organization such as the UL label from  Underwriters Laboratories.
  2. Check for a Shut Off Feature.  When the heater overheats there should be a sensor that automatically shuts it off.
  3. Keep the heater away from water.  Most space heaters don’t come with a GFCI plug which prevents electrical shock.
  4. Never use an extension cord to plug in a space heater.  Most space heaters are equipped with a 6 ft long cord.

Tips on how to use a Space Heater safely:

  1. Space Heaters are intended to be placed on the floor so find a hard, flat, nonflammable surface
  2. Never put a space heater in a child’s room.  It is safe to keep a 3 ft area around the space heater free from kids and pets.
  3. Also keep space heaters 3 ft away from materials such as bedding, curtains, and upholstered furniture.
  4. Never use a space heater in a workshop or garage near gas cans, paint, or matches
  5. Turn the heater off when you go to bed or leave the room


Make sure your home is installed with working fire alarms and be sure to check them often.  SERVPRO of Campbell County is locally owned and operated so we are ready and able to respond quickly to any fire damage emergency. If you find yourself in any fire damage situation, give us a call! (859) 572-4920

Other News

View Recent Posts